Edisto for Newbies
The summer months are the most popular on Edisto Beach. Many of the visitors that come to the island have been coming since birth, but every year more newbies decide to visit our piece of paradise.
While some visitors might know what to expect, others will need a crash-course in how to love Edisto. So, if youve heard talk of Edisto Beach or stumbled upon it accidentally, heres what you need to know to fully get just why fans of Edisto can never get enough.
No Muss, No Fuss
There is no glitz or glam to Edisto Beach . and thats why everyone loves it so much. This is the type of place that knows what it means to have a beach vacation. There arent any nightclubs, amusement parks, movie theaters, bowling alleys, or anything of that nature. The main forms of entertainment come in the form of being in or on the water.
Fun on the Water
Swimming, boating, fishing take your pick, Edisto has it all.
Hit up the beaches if you want to enjoy some of the best sand and surf around. Check out our previous blog about beaches here to learn everything you can about how our beach is different from others.
If you have a boat or jet ski, youll love getting out on the water. Be sure to check out tide charts and navigational tables to avoid running aground on sandbars. Both of these items can be picked up at the Bi-Lo or at the Edisto Marina located at 3702 Docksite Road.
Boats can be launched at the marina or public landing, which is a part of the South Carolina State Park system located on the island.
Fishing is another popular activity among locals and visitors. Fishing licenses are required and are available at the Edisto Marina for a nominal fee.
Many people enjoy fishing either right off of the beach, in one of the many creeks on the island, or off of a boat. If you dont have a boat but would still like to go fishing, check out some of the offshore fishing charters in town. You can go out with a genuine captain who can take you to some of the insiders spots known for having tons of fish.
Another great way to get out on the water even if you dont have a boat is to go out on an eco-tour. These tours give people the opportunity to explore the waterways and learn about the unique ecosystem of Edisto Island.
Dry Land Activities
There are plenty of shopping opportunities and adventures to be had during a visit to Edisto. A half-dozen gift shops along with a book store and a couple of art galleries give visitors a chance to pick up some items that are uniquely Edisto.
Then theres the Edisto Museum. This provides visitors with a chance to get to know Edistos storied past. Find out about the plantations that still exist on the island, learn about Edistos roll in the cotton industry, and discover what the island was like during the Civil War.
Youll also get a chance to learn about the areas historic churches, cemeteries, and buildings, many of which are open to the public.
For those who want to learn about the wildlife in the area, check out the Serpentarium. This uniquely-named go-to destination is a favorite with visitors as it gives them the chance to get up close and personal with alligators, snakes, and other critters that live on the island.
A Little Bit of Everything Else You Need to Know
While the location itself is what most people want to know about, heres some more information to consider before you make it to the island:
- Decide where to stay. Edisto has no hotels, but there are plenty of rental options avaiable. Do you want to be on the ocean? On deepwater? In a condo or at a resort? You can even stay at the Edisto Beach State Park, which offers tent camping, cabins, and RVs. Rent a home by clicking one of the many options right here on our site.
- If you are flying to the area, Charleston International Airport is your best bet, but sometimes there are cheaper deals if you fly into Savannah, Georgia. Its about 90 minutes away, so youll have to plan for the additional travel time. Also, if you do fly in, you will have to rent a car at the airport as there is no taxi service on or anywhere near the island.
- Edisto has one grocery store, three gas stations, and several restaurants. The grocery store and gas station in the town of Edisto Beach are open 24 hours, but most restaurants close by 9 p.m.
- If there is an emergency during your trip, Edisto Beach has its own police, fire, and emergency services. The island also has its own set of emergency personnel (including police, fire, and ems). Theres also one doctor and a dentist on the island for any minor problems.
- If you want to explore more of the area during your trip to Edisto Beach, downtown Charleston is just a little more than an hour away. It is full of historic homes and sites, all forms of shopping, high-end eateries, salons, and anything else you could ask for in a southern vacation.
Get Ready for Edisto
Now that youve got all the information you could possibly need for your trip to Edisto Beach, youre all prepared to have the time of your life. Just remember that once you get to the beach, youll be hooked for life.
Plan Your Next Visit
Search Seabrook Island Vacation HomesBook Now