What to Pack for Your Next Beach Vacation
Packing for vacation can be such a hassle. It’s always difficult to know exactly what to bring and many people end up bringing far more than they’ll ever need. So, if you are worried about what to pack for Edisto, here’s what you’ll need to stock up on.
To begin with, let’s just assume you’re driving down to Edisto. For all of you who fly, well, it might be kind of hard getting a boogie board on a plane.
Clothing is always an issue going on vacation in my family. All of us girls pack too much and the boys, namely my dad and grandpa, always seem to pack virtually nothing. None of us will forget the year my dad brought just two pairs of underwear for a two-week vacation or the time my grandpa brought along a pair of threadbare swim trunks.
So here’s what you need for vacation:
Shoes and Clothing
- A decent bathing suit or pair of swim trunks. You might even want to bring a couple of bathing suits and trunks just to make sure you’ve always got a fresh one to put on.
- Swim suit cover ups and beach towels.
- Flip flops or sandals. It’s hot here and regular shoes just aren’t necessary. Even if you plan on having a fancy meal somewhere all of the restaurants around here have no problem seating people wearing $2 flip flops.
- Old gym shoes. Now this is only necessary if you want to go crabbing or exploring some of the creeks. Closed toed shoes are necessary because the plough mud sucks flip flops right off. Plus, real shoes protect your feet from the sharp oysters in the mud.
- Depending on the length of your vacation, bring along at least one nice outfit if you plan on doing something that requires it, but you’ll mostly just need casual summer clothes and plenty of short-sleeved shirts. You’ll definitely want to bring along some shorts and skirts as well.
- Some people choose to work out on vacation (who knows why) so if you’re one of those people, make sure you’ve got clothes that will be comfortable enough to wear in the heat.
- Sunglasses (polarized are the best to cut the glare) and hats. The sun is great, but squinting gets old quick.
- Bring along a raft or two so you can lounge in the ocean day after day. You can fill them up at the gas station on the beach or down at the Edistonian on the island.
- Riding waves is one of the best parts of vacation, so be sure to bring along a boogie board. You can usually find these at any major supermarket.
- Shovels and buckets for children excited to make sand castles.
- Lawn chairs and tents are permitted on the beach so long as they are put up at the end of the day.
- Coolers are a must for anyone who wants to spend some time outdoors. Just remember that glass bottles are not permitted on the beach.
- Plenty of sunscreen. Definitely wear sunscreen while visiting Edisto. The reflection off the water intensifies the sun and before you know it you’ll be as red as a lobster without it.
- You might also want to bring along a wagon or some device to wheel your things to the beach if you’re staying on a side street.
- Most rental homes require renters to bring along their own linens, so don’t forget your sheets and towels.
- Don’t forget to bring along some toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates and cups, and disposable utensils (recycling is available for these items). The houses will have all of the items you’ll need, but for some reason everyone needs a paper plate on vacation.
- You might want to bring down some groceries with you to cut costs.
- Also, don’t forget that most houses on Edisto don’t have reverse osmosis so the water coming out of the faucets is salty. Be sure to bring along bottled water or know that you’ll have to go to town hall for free water.
- Bring along a camera or video-camera to make sure you can always have memories of your vacation to Edisto.
Should you forget anything you need for vacation, you can always go one of the local stores to pick up some items. The Edisto Surf Shop is located next to the Sea Cow and has almost everything you need for a perfect vacation.
Plan Your Next Visit
Search Edisto Beach Vacation HomesBook Now